Monday, September 22, 2008

Differentiation reading for 9-23-08

Blackboard
The linguistic intelligence survey is a very non-intimidating way to gain information on how a child feels about different subject areas. Many students will feel stronger and more comfortable in different areas. Thus, they enjoy certain subjects more than they enjoy other subjects. This inventory is a good way for a teacher to gain the knowledge of how students feel in all the content areas. This also helps a teacher to know how he/she should plan lessons to meet the intelligences and interests that are best for the students. I like that they are simple questions that children can understand and relate to from things they have already experienced. (i.e. how they feel about singing happy birthday or playing outside.)

Fulfilling the Promise
I am intimidated by getting into a classroom and being responsible for 25+ children all day. I want them to feel comfortable and have fun learning in my class. So how do I get to know these kids so that I can teach for them? There are many ways to teach for students. For starters, you need to learn about them and find out what they like and what helps them learn. This About You Survey is a good starting place to learn about students’ backgrounds and interests so that a teacher can plan the lessons for the children specifically. I also think that since the curriculum is the same, but the students are not, that you could re-use lessons and revamp them each year according to your students. These surveys and other activities can let the children talk about themselves, and you get to know them. I would have the students present to the class what they have on their surveys.

For me
I hope that I have the chance to use these in my student teaching classroom so that I can get to know the students. I will be going into the class in the middle of the year and these children are already going to know each other. Using these inventories, I can see what the interests of the students are and make accommodations on my lessons for these children. They cover all areas of learning and interests in learning, and I am looking forward to using them for my benefit.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

Good, reflective thoughts! You will be choosing two different types of inventories or pre-assessments to use during field in November. THen, after field, you will use the information you gather to write two different lesson plans, to teach during your student teaching (January, etc.)... so you'll get a little practice in making decisions about WHAT to differentiate, and what to differentiate FOR.