Tiering is much like setting a radio to the right frequency or station. Each knob needs to be adjusted to just the right spot for it to be affective. Where you set the radio depends much upon a student’s readiness. A tiered lesson should begin with what students know, understand, and perform a result of the activity or product assessment. If it were me tiering a lesson, I would be sure to incorporate different learning styles and directions for diverse learners.
Think-Tac-Toe
I would say that these lessons are tiered. I like the suggestions of students setting goals and due dates on and individual basis. This accommodates the students’ time and schedules. They go through what students should know, understand, and be able to do as different tiers in the lesson.
Tierable, not tierable?
It would be possible to tier these lessons. I think any lesson can be tiered (if I understand tiering correctly). You can adjust what you need to for where the student is now, and where you want them to be. Tiering will allow each child to improve a level higher than they are when they first enter your classroom. They will not all be on the same level at the beginning or end, but they can achieve a personal higher level through tiered teaching.
My world is brigher today...
9 years ago

1 comment:
This sounds like a solid understanding of tiering. The key you addressed was the "adjusting" a teacher does, based on what she knows about students' abilities. Super!
Post a Comment